How to get kids to do chores: The role of conditioning in parenting.
This Discussion Board requires an understanding of learning principles and how they can be applied in parenting situations.
This assignment fulfills/Supports:
- Module Outcome: 1
- Course Outcome: 1, 3
- General Education Competencies: 1, 2, 5
For this Discussion Board, complete the following steps:
- Review the elements of Classical Conditioning, Operant Conditioning and Observational Learning in Chapter 6 of your textbook.
- Listen to the Goats and Soda podcast entitled “How To Get Your Kids To Do Chores (Without Resenting It)” (link below) and read the follow-up article “How To Get Kids To Do Chores: Does The Maya Method Work?”. The article can be accessed through the NPR website by clicking on the following link: Maya Method (opens in a new window).
In your initial post, thoroughly discuss the following:
- Explain how each of the following learning concepts are demonstrated in the “Maya Method”. Give concrete examples from the textbook, podcast and article to support your statements.
- Positive reinforcement
- Unconditioned stimuli
- Unconditioned response
- Conditioned stimuli
- Conditioned response
- Discuss the potential consequences of using physical punishment to shape children’s behavior.