Although it was projected to cause the loss of more than 30,000 jobs in the Pacific Northwest’s rural communities, logging was greatly reduced in 1994 to protect the northern spotted owl (Strix occidentalis caurina). After implementing the plan, jobs were lost. Debate exists, however, as to whether the recovery plan was wholly responsible for the loss of jobs. In addition, the owl population continued to decline.
Based on the information provided, respond to these questions in your posting:
- In your opinion, was the loss of jobs worth the attempt to save the owl population, even though it seems to have been unsuccessful? Justify your rationale.
- Do you believe it is possible to have a healthy environment and a healthy economy? Justify your rationale.
- If you believe it is possible to have both, suggest one way this could be feasible.
- If you don’t believe it is possible to have both, suggest one factor that would need to change to foster a healthy environment and a healthy economy.
- Be sure to support your answers with specifics and examples.