Case Study, Chapter 4, Health Education and Health Promotion
1. Mr. Smith, a 57-year-old patient, presents at a health fair asking questions about the age-appropriate health maintenance and promotion considerations he should be concerned about. He stated that he only goes to his physician when he is sick and the last time he saw his physician was 2 years ago when he had a sinus infection. (Learning Objectives 7 to 9)
- What further assessment does the nurse need to make before designing a teaching plan?
- What topics does the nurse need to include for Mr. Smith based on current medical recommendations?
- Design a teaching plan that covers the topics.
2. The community health nurse is planning a health promotion workshop for a high school PTSO (Parent-Teacher-Student Organization). The choice of topics was suggested by the high school’s registered nurse who has observed a gradual increase in student obesity. The two nurses have collaborated to develop this workshop to provide parents, students, and teachers with information about the importance of health promotion. (Learning Objectives 6, 8, and 9)
- Describe the importance of a focus on health promotion.
- According to the health promotion model developed by Becker (1993), what four variables influence the selection and use of health promotion behaviors?
- Describe four components of health promotion.