Assignment 1: Practicum – Week 2 Journal Entry
Apply documentation skills to examine family therapy sessions *
Develop diagnoses for clients receiving family psychotherapy *
Analyze legal and ethical implications of counseling clients with psychiatric disorders *
* The Assignment related to this Learning Objective is introduced this week and submitted in Week 3.
Select two clients you observed or counseled this week during a family therapy session. Note: The two
clients you select must have attended the same family session.
Then, address in your Practicum Journal the following:
Using the Group Therapy Progress Note in this week’s Learning Resources, document the family
Describe (without violating HIPAA regulations) each client, and identify any pertinent history or medical
information, including prescribed medications.
Using the Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Health Disorders, Fifth Edition (DSM-5), explain
and justify your diagnosis for each client.
Explain any legal and/or ethical implications related to counseling each client.
Support your approach with evidence-based literature
1.4 Participate in health care policy development to influence nursing practice and health care.
Research public health issues on the “Climate Change” or “Topics and Issues” pages of the American Public Health Association (APHA) website. Investigate a public health issue related to an environmental issue within the U.S. health care delivery system and examine its effect on a specific population.
Write a 750-1,000-word policy brief that summarizes the issue, explains the effect on the population, and proposes a solution to the issue.
Follow this outline when writing the policy brief:
- Describe the policy health issue. Include the following information: (a) what population is affected, (b) at what level does it occur (local, state, or national), and (c) evidence about the issues supported by resources.
- Create a problem statement.
- Provide suggestions for addressing the health issue caused by the current policy. Describe what steps are required to initiate policy change. Include necessary stakeholders (government officials, administrator) and budget or funding considerations, if applicable.
- Discuss the impact on the health care delivery system.
Include three peer-reviewed sources and two other sources to support the policy brief