Discussion: Treatment of Neurocognitive Disorders
Neurocognitive disorders (NCD) such as delirium, dementia, and amnestic disorders are more prevalent in older adults. As the population ages and as life expectancy in the United States continues to increase, the incidence of these disorders will continue to increase. Cognitive functioning such as memory, language, orientation, judgment, and problem solving are affected in clients with NCDs. Caring for someone with a neurocognitive disorder is not only challenging for the clinician, but also stressful for the family. The PMHNP needs to consider not only the client but also the “family as client.” Collaboration with primary care providers and specialty providers is essential. Anticipatory guidance also becomes extremely important.
In this Discussion, you will integrate several sources of knowledge specific to NCDs as you discuss evidenced-based therapies used to treat these disorders.
To prepare for this Discussion:
- By Day 5 of Week 7, your Instructor will have assigned you a neurocognitive disorder, which will be the focus for your initial post for this Discussion. :
- Review the Learning Resources.
NEUROCOGNITIVE DISORDER ASSIGNED: Neurocognitive Disorder Due to Alzheimer’s Disease
By Day 3
- Explain the diagnostic criteria for your assigned neurocognitive disorder.
- Explain the evidenced-based psychotherapy and psychopharmacologic treatment for your assigned neurocognitive disorder.
- Identify the risks of different types of therapy and explain how the benefits of the therapy that might be achieved might outweigh the risks.
- Support your rationale with references to the Learning Resources or other academic resource.
NOTE: Explain every question asked in detail please