Evaluating the Case Data
This week, you will construct details of a case study that will form the basis for a Nutritional Care Plan you will prepare over the coming weeks. Your Nutritional Care Plan will be due Week 10.
By the due date assigned, submit your case study in the form of a Word document; double spaced, in 12 pt. font, to the Submissions Area.
NTR2050 Course Project
Nutritional Care Plan
For this project, you will identify a case study and then develop a nutritional care plan for the client associated with that case. You should begin working on your project in advance of Week 5 as you construct the details of your case. The completed nutritional care plan for your client is due in Week 10.
Please read this entire document to gain understanding of the project scope and those tasks you will complete. This project will take you several weeks to complete. Do not delay beginning the work on this project.
Project tasks to be completed in Week: 5
- Choose from one of the following stages: pregnancy, infancy and childhood, adolescence, adulthood, and old age.
- List the specific nutrition issues affecting individuals in your selected stage.
Because what a female eat is the main source of nutrients for her baby. Specific nutrition issues that affect pregnancy include:
Helps to build strong bones and teeth.
Helps red blood cells deliver oxygen to your baby.
Low Vitamin A
You need this vitamin for healthy skin, eyesight, and bone growth
Low Vitamin C
Promotes healthy gums, teeth, and bones, and helps your body absorb iron.
Low Vitamin D
Aids your body in the absorption of calcium to help build your baby’s bones and teeth.
Low Vitamin B6
Helps form red blood cells and helps your body use protein, fat, and carbohydrates.
Low Vitamin B12
Helps form red blood cells and maintains your nervous system.
Low Folate (Folic Acid)
A B vitamin important in the production of blood and protein, it also reduces the risk of neural tube defects.
- Choose a disease or medical condition that could possibly, or commonly, affect your individual. This could be anything ranging from diabetes to cirrhosis.
- Using the ABCDs of nutritional assessment, create a case study based on an actual client or patient. You can also make one up. Include the following in your case study:
- Anthropometrics, relevant biochemical tests, clinical assessment, and dietary intake analysis.
- Be sure to include a list of common medications that may be used to treat your patient’s condition and identify potential herb/nutrient/drug interactions that may be relevant.
- Identify your client’s cultural background and give clues as to their socioeconomic status and psychosocial variables. For example, your patient may be a senior living alone on a fixed income or might be living in a nursing facility with reputed staff.
Project tasks to be completed during Weeks 6–10 (due during Week 10):
- Create a nutritional care plan for your client. This will include an evaluation of nutritional risk, a list of interventions, and a list of expected outcomes.
- List the goals of medical nutrition therapy for your patient and suggest an appropriate diet. Does your patient/client require a dietary modification of their regular diet? Are enteral feedings by tube necessary? If so, what formula will you use and why? Describe your recommended method of administration.
- Describe your nutrition education teaching session with your patient and/or their family. What teaching methods will you use (explanation, discussion, demonstration, handouts, etc.)? In your own words, write a paragraph detailing three specific points that you will need to teach your patient about his/her new diet. In addition, give at least one tip to avoid potential herb/nutrient/drug interactions.
- Name your document SU_NTR2050_W5A2_LastName_FirstInitial.doc.
- Submit this assignment to the Submissions Area by the due date assigned.