Music Listening & Analysis Assignment Checklist and Rubric
1. Cover sheet with document title, your name, date, course number and name, professor name. A sample title might be: Music Review & Analysis of The Flower Duet by Leo Delibes and The Selection of Your Choosing by The Composer of That Selection
2. Paper content, minimum of 2 pages, no more than 4 – one document for BOTH listening selections. They do not have to be tied together.
Ex. The Flower Duet by Leo Delibes
This is where you start the content of your paper, reviewing the listening selecting The Flower Duet. When you finish talking about The Flower Duet you can start a new section.
Selection of Your Choosing
This is where you talk about the musical selection of your choice. You can start a new section for this title as you can see in this example. When you finish writing about both selections it would be nice if you provided a summary and/or conclusion to your paper to help tie in to what you learned over the course and not just randomly stop talking.
3. Works cited/References page including references for required readings, required listening selection, listening selection of your choice, any other sources you might use in your paper.
Rubric – items that can affect the final grade of the assignment
· MLA format including cover sheet, works cited page, and in-text citations (You DO NOT NEED page numbers or running head)
· Minimum of 2 pages, no more than 4 (not including cover sheet or works cited page)
· Correct font and size (Times New Roman 12 pt)
· Spelling, grammar, sentence structure, etc.
· Thoughtful application of the elements of music to your analysis of the listening selections. Mainly I am looking for your own impressions of the music with the knowledge you have learned from this class. Take into consideration the story behind the music, the composer, and the musicians. How are they bringing the story across to you? How does it speak to you? Why this piece is meaningful to you? What is something you got out of listening to the music as a more focused and informed listener compared to your previous interpretation, expectation, experience, etc. of this music? Did any of this change your feelings or experience when listening to this piece of music? Etc.