At this point you should have selected one of the social issues presented in weeks 2-4 (language and power; freedom and security; health and wealth) as the focus of your Case Study Project. For this assignment, you will begin to gather evidence from the course readings related to your chosen social issue. You will use this textual evidence to support your claims in your Case Study Project.
Review the course readings related to your selected social issue, select 4-6 key quotes from the reading selections, and complete the following for each:
- Give the bibliographic information for the reading selection source in APA format. This can be copied and pasted from the class week where the reading is introduced.
- Give the exact quote and page number (or paragraph number, if the source has no page numbers)
- Paraphrase the quote and provide an in-text citation.
- Explain why you selected the quote and how the quote relates to your selected social issue and your perspective on the issue
- Indicate your topic, thesis, and reasons
- Give 4-6 quote log “entries” where you provide the required information (see above under content)
- Review the sample quote log below.
Grammar and Mechanics
- Your paper should be written with consideration for the standards of academic writing, with attention to the following:
- punctuation: this includes things such as use of commas, colons, and apostrophes.
- word-level accuracy: this includes things such as capitalization, spelling, word-tense, and usage.
- sentence-level accuracy: this includes things such as sentence boundaries, subject-verb agreement, and pronoun-antecedent agreement.
- Take time to proofread after you’ve written your essay. Think about your own writing habits you might want to change (like using “text-speak” or sentence fragments) and watch out for those. Reading your paper aloud is a good way to catch any mistakes.
Sources and Documentation
- You are required to use three sources for this assignment. Your sources should be selected from the assigned course readings on your selected issue (language and power; freedom and security; health and wealth).
- For each source, you should include APA-style reference citations and in-text citations
Format and Length
- Your quote log should include a header consisting of your name and the assignment name and a title that reflects your chosen social issue. (See example below.)
- Your quote log should be typed, double-spaced and in 12-point font.
- Your final product should include log entries for 4-6 quotes. Each entry should be about 150 words in length, for a total of 600-900 words.