W4: Discussion Post 4 – Discussion Groups B 1
From ART100-10601 (ONL)88 unread replies.88 replies.
You may have been familiar with Japanese ukiyo-e paintings and prints of the Edo period (1615-1868) from one of this week’s chapters. Let’s use this assignment to explore these works a bit more.
This is a two part post so please read the directions carefully. Both parts are due by Sunday night with late work accepted for one week after the due date.
- Choose and embed two examples of ukiyo-e prints to talk about. One will be traditional (not contemporary) and from one of the collections listed below AND one will be a contemporary twist (try searching for ukiyo-e and pop culture/pop art/21st century or ‘ukiyo-e inspired’). These won’t be the same work and your contemporary example can be any in the style of ukiyo-e. I’ve included an example below.
- No need to comment this week but feel free to if you’d like!
- No need to write any text about the two works here, you’ll do that in part 2, but remember to:
- Embed your images.
- Include its info below the image. This info includes: name of the artist (if known), title, date, and medium.
- You’ll need to post first to see other’s posts in your group.
- Complete the reflection based on the prompt found here also by Sunday night.
Here’s a contemporary example:
Andrew Archer, Fan of the Game, 2018, digital print
Seibu Railways Manner Posters, Please do not use smartphones while walking, 2017 digital print