Week Six Assignment (Your clients and their legal issues)
- Provide Gregory with at least five factors that would distinguish him from employees and identify him as an independent contractor. Support your explanation to Gregory by referencing at least one scholarly article from a business journal (LIRN Database), a law review article (LexisNexis), or caselaw (LexisNexis). The source cited must be less than five years old.
- Discuss exception to the employment-at-will doctrine that protects her from being terminated. Support response with a case (judicial opinion) from LexisNexis where an employee was terminated but won a lawsuit by using the whistleblowing defense. The case must be less than five years old. Discuss the facts from the case and the court’s ruling. Based on that case, explain the likely outcome if Mary sues for wrongful termination.
- He believes his employer fired him for being Hispanic. What must Ted prove to win a lawsuit against his employer? Support response with at least one scholarly article from a business journal(LIRN Database), a law review article (LexisNexis), or case law (LexisNexis).The source cited must be less than five years old.
- Peter wants to withdraw from the partnership now. What are Peter’s options, if any, to withdraw from that partnership before its expiration? Support response with an article from a business journal (LIRN Database), a law review article (LexisNexis), or case law (LexisNexis). The source cited must be less than five years old.
Content (40 points):
- Response provides a concise summary of the source’s facts and/or legal rationale.
- The response applies the source’s reasoning to the client’s facts (demonstrates the similarity between the source and the client).
- Content is original (less than 30%matching as per SafeAssign’s Originality Report).
Sources (20 points):
- At least one source per response is required.
- Source must come from LIRN or LexisNexis.
Citations (20 points):
- Citations listed in the “References” page meet APA criteria.
- Citations are properly embedded / placed within content and properly formatted.
Grammar & Formatting (20 points):
- Basic rules of grammar are adhered to:
- No use of I, you, we, us, etc.; proper capitalization and use of punctuation
- Responses are numbered (1 – 4) according to the numbered questions.
- The questions are NOT to be included in the submission; only complete responses are submitted.
- Times New Roman font (size 12) is used, content is double-spaced, with one-inch margins all around.
- Document must be attached and uploaded as a doc or pdf file. Assignments that do not produce a Safe Assign Originality Report will not be accepted.